Saturday, November 27, 2010

Busy Busy Bee

This is my 50th blog post.  Does that mean anything to me?  Not really.  But I'm glad Elizabeth Jenkins informed me that I had to start a blog when I left for London.  Best demand ever.

Anyways, just so you pay a little more attention to my ramblings, here's a picture that I took tonight at the BU men's hockey game (Go Terriers):
That's right, two (count 'em, two) zambonis in one pic

I'm thinking about sending that in to National Geographic.  On that note, I have wanted a really nice camera for a really long time, but never enough to actually save up to buy one.  So if anyone wants to give me one for Christmas, I'd be much obliged.

Hockey later.  Let's talk about last week.  Last week was probably the busiest week of my entire life.  It was absolute insanity.  I decided that I would make plans every night and more than one plans (does that make sense?) on a few nights.  When I did all this planning, I thought that I had three weeks to write my next term paper in Shakespearean Tragedy on Film.  Instead, I had five days.  So on top of my normal class schedule and internship at AGNI, I had this paper on Peter Brook's film version of King Lear, poems due in both Robert's and David's classes, basketball, Institute, Sophie's reading (which rocked), a temple trip, feeding the missionaries (Sorel and Hunter. Great kids. I took them to Mr. Bartley's.), classmate workshop at my house, and the ward charity auction that I was co-in charge of.  Holy balls I thought I was gonna die.  But I didn't.  As much as I wanted to try a new burger at Mr. Bartley's, I went with "The Viagra" since I knew it would keep me sane (are you also surprised I kept that synopsis clean?).  But I survived and that's all I have to say about that.

This week was a little more low key, but I was really productive since last week was so intense.  Class went well on Monday and Tuesday.  I don't remember what I did on Wednesday.  I remember going to buy cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving dinner at the Walkers' home, but that's it.  I also slept in and did some homework.  Anyways.  Thanksgiving was great.  I woke up, got dressed in my football gear, and Brian (from basketball) picked me up at Coolidge Corner so we could go have a Turkey Bowl at Arsenal Park in Watertown.  In case you don't know (TJ didn't when I invited him) a Turkey Bowl is a football game played on Thanksgiving morning.  We had about 18 total, including two girls who guarded each other.  We played three games to seven and most were pretty close.  For some reason I got to guard the 6'4" guy, but lucky for me he was more of a soccer player and therefore had bad hands.  It was a ton of fun and my body still hates me for doing it, but I love me some Turkey Bowl.  After that I got home, showered, and got picked up by my new friend Melanie LeSueur.  We then picked up Erin (from Provo), Kiersten (from Chicago), and Jaqueline (from Porto Alegre, Brazil) [note: locations are where the girls hail from, not the location at which we picked them up].  Then we all drove to the Bishop Walker's place out in Marlborough or Framingham or somewhere out there.  Some other ward members and friends and family showed up and we had a good time.  I got to talk movies with Erin and speak Portuguese with Jaqueline.  Food was great, the Walkers are fantastic, and I ate like a mad man.

Yesterday, I ate Thanksgiving dinner again.  Melanie is a nurse and thought that she was going to have to work on Thanksgiving, so she had a bunch of food for a Thanksgiving dinner on Friday.  But then she didn't end up working, giving me a ride instead, so she had all this food and no one to eat it.  So she called me.  Problem solved.  After homework and the first half of the Auburn/Alabama game (the first heartbreak of the day.  Freaking Bama) I headed over to her place in Brighton.  We went and bought a few things that were still missing and headed back.  I was in charge of rolls (which I bought) and potatoes (which I mashed).  They were pretty freaking good if I do say so myself.  It ended up being me and eight girls, three of which were the sister missionaries.  Besides myself and them (I only know the name of one: Sister Porter: went to school here before mission, very intense) there was Melanie, Kiersten from the Walkers' house, Stephanie (in my institute class), Laura (from Kuna), and...Nicole (who is tall and made gravy for the potatoes. Good food, good times.  I think Thanksgiving twice is a wonderful idea.  I have lots of leftovers (including way too many rolls).  When I got home I watched my beloved Boise State Broncos lose a heartbreaker to Nevada.  It was a great game (shouldn't have been) and Kyle Brotzman (who I went to high school with) will hopefully recover mentally in the next thirty years.  Poor dude.  Although it is his job to make easy-looking, straight-on kicks that he's made before, you can't blame just him.  Life goes on.

This was what I did today:
BU Hockey at Agganis Arena, Section 104, Row J, Seat 1

A few days ago I got an email saying that grad students could pick up two free tickets to the hockey double header.  I've been wanting to go to a game for a while now.  The women are ranked #5 and the men #2, plus I wasn't in the mood to do homework all day, so I went and picked up my tickets before going to the library.  I sent out a mass text to see if anybody was in town.  Nobody answered at first, so I went to the women's game at 3pm.  They played Princeton and won 2-1.  I can't say as I've ever watched women's hockey before, but it was pretty good.  There's something attractive about a girl that can crush other girls while on ice skates.  Go figure.  Melanie answered my mass text while I was there, so I went to dinner at the Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers place across the street (chicken fingers are good) and then met her before the men's game.  I love watching hockey, especially live.  And the guys were much faster, much harder hitting, and much more awesome.  We got down 2-0 early and then came back to be ahead 3-2 and then got down again 4-3 and then tied it at 4-4 where it stayed after one period of overtime.  There was no shoot out.  I was extremely displeased.  But my favorite parts were booing the ref when he wouldn't drop the puck, seeing two zambonis, overpriced nachos, and almost getting hit by a puck.  I was gonna catch it but it hit the hand rail in front of me and bounced over my head.  I was SO MAD!  Next time I'm standing up and taking a shot to the face.  Hockey = exciting.

So, yeah, that's kinda it for the update.  Still loving Boston, but I'm ready for some Jack in the Box and hours upon hours of basketball.  Less than one month till Christmas!


Post a Comment