Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Oxfordshire

Above: Calvin having tea in the Harry Potter Great Hall thingy. Oh, Katie Bruce too.


Whatup world?

Had a good program outing today to Oxfordshire. We hit up the Blenheim Palace and Oxford University. Blenheim Palace was pretty impressive. As you drive up to it the grounds are the best part. There was a very old, very classical bridge that we didn't drive over and there was the world's second largest hedge maze that Katie Bruce, Cam, Laura, and I hit up after the palace tour. It was a lot of fun but by the time we got over to it we didn't have a whole lot of time. I got us out, because I'm awesome. I prefer corn mazes, but it was way cool. Blenheim was a lot like some of the other palaces we've seen, but it is different and very interesting because it was the home of the Churchill family. Winston Churchill is one person I don't need to explain; it's enough to say that he was a gift from God, changed the world he lived in, and lived an incredible life overall.

Oxford was legitimately impressive. The whole city is built around the college (and a lot in it), which was started in the 12th century. The archetecture is beautiful. Before actually going into Christ Church college we had a few hours to just look around. We went to Blackwells bookstore which was ok but not all I thought it would be. Then we went by the giant circular library. It was really cool but we weren't allowed to go in, which ain't right. Then we dropped by the original Ben's Cookies (the girls are obSESSED with Ben's Cookies) and Moo Moo's Milkshakes. I got a lemon drizzle cake shake which was SO good. I love me a milkshake. After that we ran over to the Eagle and Child Pub to take a picture or two. It's not the pub that's cool, but the people that frequented it: J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis used to meet there to eat and talk about their writing. How's that for a think tank?

After that it was over to Christ Church college (the university it made up of individual colleges). I don't need to explain how prestigious the university is. However, I do need to tell you that we had tea in the Hogwarts' Great Hall. The Harry Potter movies are filmed partly at Oxford. We went up some steps that I didn't recognize (not the sweet moving ones), but I definitely recognized the Great Hall. Funny that I don't know if that's what they actually call the room. I've never read a Harry Potter book (never will), but the movies are good and it was pretty cool. Oh, and we got to go to tea because our guide is a Mormon (Bro. Tootill). And it wasn't tea, it was hot chocolate. Afterwards we had a girl who graduated from BYU come answer some questions for us. I'm sure it was good...but I fell asleep cause it was boring. Back on the bus and home. I think tomorrow is another field trip. Should be magical.

0 comments:

Post a Comment